Saturday, March 10, 2007

Thoughts about Prayer

I love to pray and see prayer as communication with God. I see prayer as interaction with the Lord, it is not just me coming to Him with a list of things to ask for. To me prayer is about my relationship with Jesus and how I devote myself to Him. God is not hung up with forms and methods, rather He looks at our heart and our relationship with Him.

John 15 speaks of the picture of the branch abiding in the vine. If you abide in me and my words abide in you, you will ask what you will and it will be done for you.

Jesus taught us to pray to the Father (the Lord's prayer), but we are also told to pray in Jesus name.

The Psalms and David's relationship with the Lord show me that He wants us to be honest and open with Him.

At the core level my prayer life is devotional, based on my realtionship with the Lord. I love to pray what I learn in the Word and even Pray the Word.

I figure if I base my prayer life on relationship with Him - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; and on the Word, that all else can just flow out of this.

Besides devotion to Jesus, I pray for people (intercession). There is a core group of family and friends and others that get regular prayer. Then there are other people and many situations and circumstances that get my attention in prayer - most of these come from what the Lord lays on my heart as I am in fellowship and relationship with Him. Jesus followed the Father, and did nothing of His own initiative (like, not my will, but your will be done). I figure that's not a bad pattern to follow.

As I have prayed more and as I get older, I am less hung up on the mechanics of prayer and just try to flow in Him. Prayer is about bringing the Kingdom of God into the world.

God bless you all

No comments: